Monday, September 17, 2012

A Practical Approach to Healthy Eating

I did push-ups five days a week for over 25 years. My arm is very strong, but it does not happen overnight. I do not do pushups for a few weeks or months, then stopped. I had to do push-ups in general if I wanted to get the results I permanently.
Exactly the same applies to a healthy diet. And you will not be healthy and eat healthy foods sometimes. You need to make healthy eating normally, if you want to get a health food. People jump on the "bandwagon" of a healthy diet when reading books or watching sites that talk about nutrition. While many of these books and websites that tell you what you should eat to be healthy, they fail to teach you how to make healthy eating habit. Thus, in a short period of time when temptations come, people fall right back into their old unhealthy eating habits.

What is a habit? According to Webster's dictionary is usually a "role model obtained by repeated saline or repeated exposure which manifests itself in regularity or increased facility of performance."

You can see that if we apply this principle simply a healthy diet, we are way to vibrant health?

Poor eating habits:

Bad eating habits do not develop overnight. For most people these habits began forming when they were kids. And this is one of the reasons why so many adults have trouble breaking bad habits because these habits are part of their lifestyle for many years.

Why do we eat food?

There are two main reasons why we eat food. The first is to provide fuel for our body. The other reason is for pleasure. Unfortunately, some of the foods that give us pleasure is healthy.

Most people make their food choices based on the smell, what they see or taste. Look at these three sentences: That pie sure looks good! The smell of a pie of course! Pie sure taste good!

I noticed that all three statements involve food and pleasure. But the food that produces pleasure (in this case the cake) may or may not be good for you from a nutritional point of view. This is why we must be wise in our food choices and not be left simply to reach the senses of taste, sight or smell.

Healthy eating can be fun:

Some people think of a diet as boring and tasteless. I think one of the reasons why they feel this way because most see advertisements promoting foods that contain calories, fat, sugar, or is that only a small proportion of the food for the ad, fruits and grains, vegetables and legumes. Thus, if there is more nutrition education, and more to find the pleasure of eating healthy and delicious.

Healthy eating habits are changing the way my life

In 1998, I finally told my wife to go see a doctor for a medical examination. I do not feel sick, but said that it was really a good idea to get an annual physical examination. God thank you, I listened.

I have been throughout my career. I ran 18 miles a week. Even when I went to the doctor, I was not expecting to hear bad news gave me. He told me that borderline diabetes.

Diabetes can be very dangerous if not treated. It is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. It is a disease that affects the pancreas which causes the body to stop producing the insulin needed to regulate blood sugar.

My doctor told me that I did not need to be placed on medication, but he suggested that I start reading books on healthy eating. This was the beginning of my way to healthy eating habits which revolved around my health. Today, I can honestly say that I am in excellent health. I feel good, I sleep well, and people tell me I do not look my age, and I maintain a healthy weight, and I do not take any type of medication, normal blood pressure, blood glucose is normal, my cholesterol is normal, my immune system strong, and the list goes on.

It's great to be healthy and I thank God for it. However, I do not think I was healthy because of chance. I firmly believe that one of the main reasons why I'm healthy because I take personal responsibility for my health. Make a healthy diet is usually a large part of this responsibility. Our physical bodies have laws that are governed by proper nutrition. If we violate these laws by eating unhealthy food constantly, and we will get sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment